Thursday 2 June 2011

2 June - the heart-breaking world of child brides

If you read my report about my first marathon, you'll recall that I ran in memory of a child-bride who died of injuries after her new husband raped her. You can find my essays here and here.  Today I saw a riveting photo essay in National Geographic Magazine about the challenges of ending child marriage in societies of rigid tradition. These images are from the photo essay.

Kandahar policewoman Malalai Kakar arrests a man who repeatedly stabbed his wife, 15, for disobeying him. "Nothing," Kakar said, when asked what would happen to the husband. "Men are kings here." Kakar was later killed by the Taliban.
You can read the full story here.   What can we do?

To me, the key is education, even if a girl's family has to be paid to keep her in school.  I need to find a way to make more of a difference in this world. So I'm sharing this with you. What will you do with this information? How do you contribute to the safety and well-being of the girls and boys in your community?

I still need to move for the day. I have already ridden my bike. Today is a public holiday, so the gyms and public pools are closed. I want to either run or swim and I will do some body weight exercises at home.

Update: I rode my bike home & I've stretched and I think that's enough for today. I've trade pretty intensively the last several days, and I have the day off tomorrow. So I think I'll rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop a line to let me know you've stopped by!